| HOME | ABOUT | STYLE | BEAUTY | CONTACT |

Friday, February 1, 2013

February Activity Ideas


Confession time: I love Valentine's Day. Not even for the mushy-romantic stuff. I love it because stores are full of really cheap, tacky decorations and novelties that are pink and shaped like hearts and I love that kind of crap. I found candles that look like chocolate truffles in the Valentine's section of the dollar store the other day and I geeked out. I'm currently trying to think of a way to creatively display them -- on a cake stand with some toiletries, perhaps? 

I also just like the general aesthetic that permeates February because of the holiday. The flowers are such a lovely sight after a couple months of winter, and of course everything is pink and red. While you're enjoying the romantic, pretty appeal of the month you can also try some of these activities to really get in "the mood!"

If you're into crafting, baking, cooking or decorating you can check out my Valentine's Day Pinterest Board for some inspiration. Sadly I can't make any of the sweet treats because of my diet, so you'll have to try them for me. And then send me long, adjective-dense descriptions of how delicious they were.

If your weather is as awful as it is here (it's currently -5 degrees) and you're trapped inside a lot, use the time to take up a new hobby. I've been meaning to try soap making!  Anyone have any experience with it?

Spring is in sight! Start making a wishlist for your Spring fashion wants and needs. It's my favorite season because it's cool enough that layering is an option, but warm enough that you don't have to bundle up beyond any hope of looking cute. I'm dying for a coral colored blazer or cardigan this year. What about you?

If you're single and have a tendency to get bummed out on Valentine's day, set up a romantic evening for just yourself. It sounds really lame, but trust me I do this sort of thing all the time and it's amazing. Treat yourself to a massage or pedicure, cook your favorite dinner, drink wine and eat chocolate while watching a movie... there are lots of possibilities here!

Decorate your living space with candles. Even if you're not involved with someone or not having a romantic evening, candles are really soothing and can be an easy way to treat yourself to some love.

♥ If candles aren't your thing or you're not allowed to have them for some reason (like living in a dorm) then decorate with flowers or string lights instead. Fairy lights especially add a really cozy, whimsical vibe to a room.

Valentine's Day isn't the only holiday in February, Chinese New Year is on the 10th. Regardless of your ethnic background, it can be fun to celebrate. Instead of ordering take out, why not cook a traditional Chinese meal at home?

Hand-craft cute cards for your friends and family. Use glitter, lace or whatever you have around. Or, for kicks purposefully make them really sloppy -- your friends will probably love them just as much, if not more.

If you're lazy then just buy a pack of pre-made Adventure Time [or insert favorite cartoon here] Valentine's and a bag of lollipops and pass those out. Same effect, less work right?

What sort of things do you have planned for February? Tell me in the comments! 






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...